super mario and yoshi plastic figure
Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

Overview:

This year was the 40th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. While the franchise is still strong, some of its originators are either dying or scaling back their duties. Nonetheless, the franchise keeps getting stronger through time. “The Super Mario Galaxy Movie” is the next chapter.

Facing the Passage of Time

For 40 years, the Mario franchise has remained present in the public consciousness. What started out as video games evolved into cartoons, motion pictures, merchandise, and everything in between.

Unfortunately, when something like Mario lasts as long as it does, many of its creators retire or pass away. However, that does not mean that the franchise doesn’t carry on or continue to acknowledge the contributions of its initial artists.

Mario Loses a Hand in Manga

Sadly, it was announced this week that the manga artist and writer behind Kodansha’s “Super Mario” manga, Kazuki Motoyama, has died. However, manga’s association with Mario carries on.

Manga has had a relationship with the Super Mario Bros. since 1986, when the manga adaptation of the anime film “Super Mario Bros : The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach” was released. Since then, there have been various manga series focusing on the franchise, such as “Super Mario-kun,” which is still going strong.

Manga Actually Inspired the Super Mario Bros.

Without manga, one could say the very FIRST Super Mario Bros. Nintendo game may never have been developed. Its creator, Shigeru Miyamoto, has noted in interviews that his original goal of becoming a manga artist influenced his video game design philosophy.

After he created the franchise’s original Nintendo entry, Miyamoto would go on to develop additional Super Mario Bros. games. Over the years, Miyamoto’s developments have been applied to everything from the original NES console to the Wii.

Mario’s Original Masterpiece Sees Its Creator Step Aside

Recently, Miyamoto has been slowly stepping back from the game development side of Mario.

“Nowadays, I have teammates who help maintain the world of Mario, so I entrust much of it to them,” Miyamoto said in a recent interview with Casa Brutus. “Even so, I always personally play through about the first 30 minutes of the game and check the interface thoroughly- to make sure it really feels like Mario.”

Despite backing away from certain video game duties, Miyamoto has expressed that he hopes “to stay healthy until Mario’s 50th anniversary.” That will take place in 2035.

Mario Takes Over the Galaxy

Besides video games, Miyamoto has contributed his work to “Super Mario Bros. Movies.” Having previously served as producer of “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” in 2023, he is co-producing “The Super Mario Galaxy Movie,” with Chris Meledandri.

“The setting for the next movie is, just as the title says, the galaxy – that’s all I can really say,” Miyamoto said in the Casa Brutus interview. “We’re in the final stages of production now, but I think it’s going to be fun.”

You Can’t Stop the Super Mario Bros.

Since its origins as video game characters 40 years ago, the Mario franchise has evolved with the changing media landscape. Their chapter continues with “The Super Mario Galaxy Movie,” set for release on April 3, 2026.

New Trailer Drops TODAY!

Last Monday, it was announced that the trailer for “The Super Mario Galaxy Movie” debuts TODAY at 6 a.m. PT/9 a.m. ET as part of a special Nintendo Direct. You can view the trailer via Nintendo’s official YouTube channel or the Nintendo Today app.

Sources:

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2025/11/kazuki-motoyama-the-creator-of-kodanshas-super-mario-manga-has-passed-away-aged-69#:~:text=Image:%20Mario%20Wiki%20/%20Kodansha,it%20may%20have%20been%20deleted.

https://gamerant.com/mario-movie-anime-obscure

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/dec/30/nintendo-shigeru-miyamoto-interview-mario-zelda-switch-pikmin-splatoon

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2025/11/i-just-hope-to-stay-healthy-shigeru-miyamoto-on-taking-further-steps-away-from-development

https://casabrutus.com/magazines/issue/no308

More at Presence News: